Saturday 15 March 2014

Bibliophilia and sulking 15.03.14

Yesterday, I was in somewhat of a grump.  Plans that I’d made for my day off were not panning out as I anticipated.  In my previous blog I discussed how I’m growing up – or at least feel like I might be – so I did the mature and responsible thing… I got back in bed and sulked.  This was a few hours long sulk.  I didn’t do anything at all.  I just led there, sighing heavily.  I didn’t make myself tea.  I didn’t watch any YouTube videos.  I wallowed in self-pity.  Very mature, I’m sure you’ll agree.

One of the aspects I do despise about getting older, I have no conviction for my own sulking any more.  I can do a full on strop followed by sulk, but at best, it will last for a few hours before I get bored.  In my teenage years, I could sulk for days and weeks at a time.  These days, it just stops me from getting things done, so what’s the point?!  Around the point at which I decided I was getting bored of sulking, I got out of bed and proceeded with the day I had in mind.  No, I wouldn’t have the company I had intended for the little trip to town, but I would have me.  One of my goals for the week was to read at least 100 pages of my current book, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.  No, this is not a huge undertaking, but I’m making quite long work of it, so off I went to Costa and sat there with my book.  I wrote in my diary about how I had sulked, read for a while, enjoyed a pastry then ventured into Wilkos and bought an antiperspirant.  All was going so well… Until I clocked Waterstones. 
                Just in case these ramblings have reached outside of the UK, Waterstones is one of the last surviving high street book stores.  Borders went down the drain a few years ago, WH Smiths sells more magazines and stationary than it does real reading material, Bookland went bust before Borders.  A man hunting for books anywhere other than the Internet will struggle if it was not for Waterstones. 

When I moved to Preston in June last year, one of the things that excited me most was to live in a town that had an actual bookshop.  Blackburn hasn’t had a dedicated book stockist since Bookland closed and was replaced by a pound shop.  Reading that sentence breaks my heart somewhat.  But now, not far away from my house was going to be one of my most favourite book shops in the whole wide world.  It smells exactly how a book shop ought to smell.  It’s got friendly staff and the walls are just lined with worlds and people and possibilities.  I love that place.  It feels like home.

Moving out of my old flat in September 2012, I was stunned at how many books I owned.  So many I had never read and some of them, I didn’t even know why I’d bought.  I had no intention of reading them so why did I own them.  At the time, I did what I considered to be logical and sensible and gave them away.  I needed less stuff to pack for putting in to storage.  I couldn’t have any near as much stuff in my new room and I needed to not take over the garage where most of my belongings would be living.  This seemed like a good plan. 

I was wrong.

Not long after I moved to Preston, I bought a Kindle.  More than my coming out, I think my Mother was incredibly disappointed in me.  She had raised her children to love and appreciate the magic of books.  I think it comes as part and parcel of her dyslexia; she yearned for the ability to read for so many years and as soon as she could, she bought and devoured books.  Whilst at University as a mature student she read War and Peace in one 8ish hour sitting.  The woman is nothing, if not conscientious.   And she isn’t an old fuddy-duddy either; she’s quite tech-savvy and recently invested in a smart phone and a tablet, but she will not forgo the experience of thumbing a book.  I, however, am a child of the new technology generation.  We have smart phones and apps and DVD’s and BlueRay and FaceTime.  Surely I would love a Kindle.  And I did.  Briefly.  The moment I truly fell out with it was when the battery died.  Now, I know I ought to have charged it regularly, but in my head, Kindle = Book = Do not need batteries.  Fatal error in logic, I know, but still true.  I will always hold the Kindle to be an amazing piece of technology (when charged) and the convenience for holidaying folks and students is unparalleled.  For me, it wasn’t cutting the mustard.

Part of my New Year’s Resolution for 2014 was to read more.  I had no intention of making this work with my Kindle.  I wanted books.  Real books with paper and smelled like ink and glue.  It’s not just a mental experience when you sit down with a book.  It’s one that stimulates all the senses, not just the as well as the imagination.  It makes me happy. 

If we add in my discovery of Carrie Fletcher – YouTuber ItsWayPastMyBedTime - and her adoration of Disney and the printed media format, I felt this compulsion to read again.  I read a book to help me with my creativity and one of the weekly activities was to look over the week and find any “synchronicity” and discuss it.  The synchronicity of finding Carrie, whilst rediscovering my love of reading and books… It was nothing if not good timing (Boys in Books are Better – never a truer word spoken.  Fan girls, go laugh and giggle and surrender your love of non-fictional men at the door.  They aren’t worth it).

Back to Waterstones yesterday.  I have a very bad tendency of self-pity-purchasing when I’m out and about and feeling bad.  I think this is probably quite a normal thing.  Is it?  Let me know!  But the love of owning books and the possibilities inside gets me giddy.  I looked it up.  I qualify as a bibliophile.  So I came home with my 4 new books and a notebook, which I also did not need, and put them on my book shelf. 
 
My book-shaped accident from Waterstones (14.03.14)
Today, I walked past the shelf and got mad with the disorganisation.  There were too many piles on top of the rows and I couldn’t really see what was there.  Being a normal person… don’t look at me like that… I had to sort it out.  All the books I have yet to read are now neat and organised … But I just had to go and count the buggers.  It turns out I have 54 books on my shelf that I haven’t even read yet!  Do I have an addiction to buying books?  Is this normal?  Moreover, do I even care?   I love reading and am reading more now than I have in years.  Perhaps it is going to take me years to get through this lot, but at least I have plenty to go at.


Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to carry on with my reading…

No comments:

Post a Comment