Friday 15 March 2013

Is that a phone in your pocket or a miniature version of me? 21.01.13


My sister is currently writing an essay for her MA about the gendering of technology.  I know sounds supremely intelligent doesn't she?  Well, she is.  She always has been… Bitch, hogging all the good genes in our family.  Anyway, she’s always been the smarter one of the two of us.  She has gone off to study for no grander reason at this point than that – study.  And what a fine reason it is too!  If anyone ever reads this, I’m sure a decent proportion of them won’t get it or care, but still, I’m proud of her.  My blog salutes you dear sister.  She’s also my biggest “fan” so I guess she deserves a mention.  ;)
Anyway, this essay of hers.  It might sound droll – not everyone can, or should be fascinated by the sociology of science and technology.  Everyone has their own niches and mental-wanderings.  That’s the way we are; as the saying goes, it wouldn't do for us to all be the same.  And that is true.  We are all different and unique. 
I got to thinking about her essay title though.  That didn't really tickle me mentally.  Whilst I was cuddled up on the sofa, looking for Dexter on Netflix though, I noticed a freak incident had occurred; my tablet, iPhone and laptop were all next to me.  That doesn't occur often, let alone that they all are in use on the same evening.  The thought passed and I began to flick through the sub-categories, hunting down my favourite psycho killer (as you do)
Now, because I was downstairs on the Xbox, which isn't mine, the Netflix account had made recommendations for its user.  Sat there flicking through, I spotted Dexter in the recommendations.  What has all that got to do with my techno-seat on the sofa? 
I looked at the other items it recommended for the Xbox’s intended user.  They were based off previous viewing choices and thing their friends had liked.  How does it know that?  Its connected to Facebook.  From there, the pile of technology took on a very different shape.  It started to look like me… Metaphorically.  I wasn't tripping.
One of my friends, Kay and I had shared a module in English – Creative Writing.  I was reminded of a short piece she had written from the point of view of a phone in a girl’s handbag; how well it knew her; the places it had been; the things it had seen and heard; and how it knew her better than anyone, living or dead.
And what does all that have to do with my sister’s essay question?  To me, the interesting question isn't about the “gendering” of technology and excluding users based on stereotypes (I’m paraphrasing and probably very inaccurately.  It is not my field of study, so please don’t shoot!).  The interesting question is the one of identity. 

I’m sure most of us would agree that our identity is in constantly changing and evolving.  It’s influenced by external factors; our experiences.  One of the most prevalent of external factors these days is the Media; it is everywhere we look and available to us, now through smart phones and tablets, constantly.  Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, LoveFilm, MySpace, BBC News, IMDB, 4OD, and that’s just from a quick scroll through my phone.  We are constantly being bombarded with adverts whenever we log on to anything.  Facebook advertising games or “likes” from our friends; script examining our likes and dislikes, height, weight and sexual orientation to make better fitting advertisements for us.  And then you log on to Netflix and realise your sister is being recommended one of your personal favourite shows, probably on account of the fact she’s been watching Lie To Me.  We log on to check our bank balance, we log on to voice our deepest thoughts and bug-bears.  We even use it to rant about things on occasion…  It’s actually an interesting thought to consider how well your phone really knows you… Thank the bearded dude in the sky that mine cannot talk independently or I would be in deep shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment