Sunday 2 November 2014

Back Tracking Part 3 - Jealousy, Unfair Comparisons and the Bloomsbury Group 22.06.14

One of the reasons I keep a diary is in an attempt to grow and develop.  I can look back and see where I was a year ago; emotionally, physically, mentally, geographically and it helps me see the changes.  When we don’t see a friend or a loved one for months or years perhaps, by the time we see them again or speak to them again, you can see the ways in which they’ve changed.  Part of the problem with being us is that we have to be with ourselves all the time.  I feel pretty much the same as I did when I was 12 or 13.  I don’t feel massively different.  I’ve been very much present for all the developments and changes in my life; it’s only natural that I wouldn’t feel different.  I’d pay good money to read back the diaries I kept when I was a teenager and see how far I’ve come.  Recently, I’ve had the grand misfortune of reading some of the “poetry” I wrote from that time period of my life.  I have indeed changed.  Mostly for the better in a hundred different ways. 

I also try and work through things in my diary.  Things play on my mind a lot – ideas for stories, things at work that are bothering me more than I ought to let them, concerns about my family, my future.  Anything that might be playing on my mind, I try and put away on the page.  It helps. 

Sometimes, the process can be frustrating and tedious.  Most often it is frustrating when there is a truth nagging me which I just don’t want to deal with.   I’ve ranted before about how I don’t let myself off with things as much as I used to.  The diary, though I offer it petulant resistance, forces me to accept truths I don’t want to acknowledge, examine them and “put them away”; process them, deal with them, whatever they may be.

There is one I don’t often write about; a side of me or a part of me that I’ve been confronted with today; a side of me I don’t like; a side of me – given the chance – I would remove completely.

I want to write.  More than anything in my life that I get to do, I love it.  If it be in my notebook and keeping my diary, sharing my endless crap with you lovely people, or a shorty story I’ve been working on, I want to write.  I don’t necessarily want anyone else to read it – particularly not the short fiction, but that’s another story entirely.   I get a great deal of satisfaction by “making shapes”.  It can be drawing, painting, doodling over a side of A4 for hours, writing and blogging, anything.  I like to fill a blank page.  I find it daunting.  I find it intimidating.  I’d go as far as to say I even find it frightening on occasion.  Once you start, revealing the truth of yourself to a screen it can be difficult to stop.  To me, that can be frightening. 

For that reason (mostly), I’m never keen on going back and rereading something of my own.  I know I have to; I babble too much for starters.  There are phrases I repeat too much as I’m writing – they need to go.  I have a terrible habit of mixing my “there” and “their” when I type, but not when I use a pen.  Anyone who can answer me why I do this, answers on the back of a self-addressed envelope please. 

Studying English Lit, it came to my attention that it is not uncommon for writers throughout history to have run in packs.  They had writing groups.  C.S. Lewis and Tolkien founded The Inklings.  Woolf, Sackville-West and Forster has the Bloomsbury Set.  More recently, it doesn’t take a great deal of effort to connect a number of artists and musicians, actors and producers all together in a nice Artsy Bundle.

Cliché and convention would have us believe that, writing more than any other art, is a solitary one.  Writers sit alone.  They agonise over their type writers (or shiny red Toshiba laptops…), yearning to find that one word; that one expression that can paraphrase a feeling; a feeling so deep and complex that thousands of men and women have tried.  We want to give it a different spin or interpretation.  We want to show the world how we feel with those few words that sum it up in a completely different way to any other way the world has tried.  And we do it alone.  In a cabin in the woods…  No, wait, that was Johnny Depp in Secret Window.  The point is, I can name you many examples in art of artists struggling alone.  Often, when collaboration or group efforts are explored, you get the question of ownership and even theft; whose idea was it?  Who does it belong to? 

I was visited this weekend by a friend; an aspiring writer.  We’d shared a few snipits of our work with each other, but not much.  For me, sharing work is an embarrassing experience, unless I know for certain that it’s good.  That might sound arrogant.  Another way to put it better might be that I only want someone else to see it when I’m happy with it – for me, that’s what makes it good.  For the first time, he let me read some of his work; a large labour, ongoing, on his part. 

He’s good.

He’s really good.  In fact, incredibly talented.

Bastard.

The reason I would suggest that many artists like to be alone with their work is not to avoid tainting their imagination with someone else’s ideas or worry that someone might steal them.  They’re worried about their ego.  They’re worried about being shown up by someone else’s talent.

We compare ourselves all the time.  We compare our face to our own face in a mirror.  We examine how we looked in a photograph five years ago then look for how we’ve changed.  We look outwards to actors and yearn for their physique (come on now, I can’t be the only one, surely?) or their hair style, or their wardrobe.  More likely than not, we’re being misdirected and what we really want is their makeup artist and photoshopper.

I digress.

What has a friend coming to stay thrown up for me that I felt the need to rant about?  Jealousy.  I’m a jealous person.  Of all the things about myself I wish I could alter, I’d take the jealousy dial on my personality and turn it all the way down; mute it even.  Whilst I sat and read his work in progress, I was moved and impressed. 

Whilst all of that is true and I do wish he would hurry up and write more so I can read it all together, it was incredibly hard for me.  I can separate the talent and the skill of Stephen King or J.K. Rowling or F. Scott Fitzgerald from my emotions in my head quite easily; I don’t know those people.  Why should I envy them?  Talented role models to me they might be.  But I won’t ever have them round to my house for a Chinese and wine night.  Having someone sat on my sofa, watching me read his arrangement of words on a screen and knowing how incredibly talented he was made me so happy.  At the same time, it made me jealous.

Rationality descends.  He is a different man to me.  He has a very unique and different style to me.  He draws on very different influences and writes about very different things.  Whilst it’s natural for us to compare ourselves, it isn’t always an accurate basis for comparison.  If he wrote a piece about bullying, it would draw from his own experiences of that given situation.  Comparing anything he writes to mine is chalk and cheese.  You could compare Ann Rice to Stephanie Meyer because they’ve both written about vampires but the analogy is lost in translation.  There wouldn’t be any point.

All of that I know to be true.

All of that is the case.

All of that isn’t helping me right now. 

I’ve come to the point of starting a new piece.  I know some of the ins and outs (I don’t like to plan too rigidly when I write).  I know the major events.  I also know how it’s going to end.  That makes a massive change for me.  Sometimes, at the beginning, I hardly even have a clue about how it’s going to go, let alone how it will end.   Having read my friend’s work and then trying to start something new of my own, I don’t feel inspired or enthused.  I feel jealous.  Even though I don’t want to, it’s still how I feel.

One good thing about my evolution from a 15 year old, who would have given up, thrown down the pen and paper, swearing never to take it up again, into a 27 year old male is that – despite being jealous – I know that I won’t get anywhere being jealous.  I won’t improve in the skill I want to develop.  I won’t ever write a novel if I sit and dwell.  I won’t even make a cup of tea if I slip into a full on sulk.

We’re complicated.  We’re multi-talented.  We are who we are.  We’re human.  We’re different; from moment to moment we’re changing and growing.  I’m jealous, yes.  Will I always be?  No.  Should I be?  Definitely not.  Where’s the point in envy?  It won’t get me writing.  Neither will putting on the kettle, but that isn’t a negative emotion, so I’m going to let myself get away with that, call this a day and enjoy a good cup of tea… Then, maybe, I’ll bite the bullets and make some new shapes.


Wish me luck?

No comments:

Post a Comment