Tuesday 4 November 2014

Letters to November 04.11.14

Dear November

There’s something about the ever earlier darker nights that makes me more tired but stops me from sleeping.  Summer months and the constant daylight make me want to stay awake longer.  You and your brother and sister darker months make me want to curl up in bed under a blanket and stay there until you've passed.  I can’t do that though; there is so much to enjoy and I don’t want to miss it.  I don’t feel as alive in the summer months as I do in the winter.  There is something about the shock of the cold that sharpens all the senses.  It’s not just that.  It’s the warm coats, the scarves, the gloves and the sweet relish of walking inside that offers no solace in the summer, but really does in a month like yours.

I've promised myself to write to your everyday this month and today is the first day - so early in the month - that I've found it a challenge to sit down, turn on my laptop and find something to say.  I think if I can prove to you (and myself) that I can do this today, maybe it will help me with the rest of the month.

I need a real rest, November.  I have some time off coming up and I really need to enjoy it by doing very little.  Last time I was off work, I did work on my house.  It made me feel better and I can’t pretend that it didn't, but when what I really need is some time with my bed and maybe a book (or two).  Decorating couldn't be further from my up-and-coming agenda.

Sorry to cut this short, but bed time is calling and I have a lot to do before I can go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment