Wednesday 5 November 2014

Letters to November 05.11.14 - Bonfire Night

Dear November
I let work run away with me tonight and got home so late.  I still feel robbed by the early nights and can’t help but wonder if I haven’t got used to it by now, coming on 28 years old, if I’m ever going to get used to it.  How do people cope who hardly get any daylight at all in winter?  Do they cope? Or do they go mad and stir crazy?

It’s bonfire night.  I can’t help but notice it because even after 9pm, there are still fireworks going off.  Living in streets that back on to streets, the sounds bounce around like tennis balls through the night.  The air is thick with the smell of burning.  I must confess, I don’t like fireworks really.  At a distance, I’m a big fan.  But up close, they scare me.  Bonfires however, those I adore.  The smell of the wood burning, the crackling sounds and the way you wear the smell home with you is so heart-warming.  In the summer, pit fires or BBQ’s don’t have the same feel.  It’s almost as though we’re trying to fight away the cold nights and darkness with bright oranges and reds that burn.  The fires even look more beautiful. 

Do you remember a few years ago, November?  When I can stand at the little window of my flat that looked out over Blackburn and I could see all the fireworks and bonfires burning away the night?  I’ve always noticed that Blackburn looks much nicer in the dark than it does in the light – hardly surprising.  But particularly in the glow of bonfire night, even Blackburn looked glorious.


I suppose for you, November, this must be the biggest night of your month.  I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment