Monday 24 November 2014

Letters to November 24.11.14

Dear November,

I’ve done some very productive things today.  I walked to my Mum’s and helped her with some manual labour she’s not well enough to attempt, including cleaning her windows in the kitchen… I cleaned out under the stairs and found some curtains which will go nicely in my back bedroom…  I watched a DVD that arrived that I’d forgotten I’d bought…  In short, I’ve done very well at not doing my writing all day.  I’m not blaming my Mum for that.  I’m blaming the hours around the productive things, where I watched 5 consecutive episodes of Judging Amy instead of writing.  Or watching a DVD instead of writing. 

I walked along the canal to get to my Mum's and saw these two having a paddle.  Blackburn Canal 24.11.14
I had a bit of a breakthrough in regards to my writing whilst I was sat there not doing it.  The only way I can think to explain it… Have you seen Stranger than Fiction, starring Emma Thompson?  No?  Well, that’s the problem.  I need to kill a character.  Given his age – he’s an octogenarian – and the time of year, as stupid as this sounds, I feel guilty.

The problem I’m having with writing without a plan, not even a loose one, is that I don’t really know what’s going to happen.  It’s all very impulsive and I’m very unsure of where the story is going to go next.  I know it’s going somewhere, I’m just not sure exactly what’s going to happen along the way.  And then, I crash land into having to kill off a character.  And I really don’t want to.  I was thinking about it, curled up under a warm blanket, around episode 3 of my Judging Amy marathon and I realised I have to kill him off.  I’ve set it up that way.  That’s why I have to; I wrote it that way.  It’s sort of like Dick Hallorann in The Shining; as soon as he sets off back to the hotel, it’s a done deal – he gonna die!!  And the audience knows it’s coming and before you know it, there was Jonny with the axe, adios Dick Hallorann.  Thanks for playing.  Be sure to play again in your next life…

I’m off on a tangent. 

The point is that I’m struggling, November.  I’m not going to get anywhere by not even trying but it’s a lot easier not to feel guilty if I don’t write him out.  I am aware I’ve been talking like the keys I’m typing are going to stop someone’s heart beat; I know this isn’t the case.  If anyone is responsible, it’s the guy in the story doing the murdering who is going to be to blame… who I wrote.  You see?  This stuff is hard!!

The problem, further to this and most pressing at the moment, is that I’m using writing this to you and picking which photograph to use as a distraction from doing the writing of the story…  And I don’t even feel guilty.

I’m losing momentum.  And I know if I don’t pick up with it again soon, I might get lost and never go back again.  I don’t want to leave it unfinished.  Even if it never goes any further than a first draft.  Even if I don’t finish it in time for the end of NaNoWriMo.  Even if it sucks and I don’t like the fact I killed someone off.  I need to finish it.  And I will… And I’m going to get a start on that as soon as I’ve made another cup of tea…


Speak tomorrow, November.

No comments:

Post a Comment