Sunday 23 November 2014

Letters to November 23.11.14

NB:  If you are my Sister and it's in the days around the 23rd November, please don't read this post.  I love you and that is said for your own good.  Love you. x

Dear November,

I started to write something for you yesterday.  I was going to tell you it was crap.  I was reading it back as I was writing it and constantly going back and editing and changing things because I couldn’t make it make sense.  So today’s letter is from yesterday and today.

Today is one year since my Gran passed away.  I don’t understand how that can be a year ago, but sure enough, my calendar reliably informs me (just let me double check), yes, it is indeed.  I don’t understand where all that time has gone. 

More than that, November, it’s hard to not feel it all over again.  I think my mother and sister would agree; I did an okay job of keeping my face straight for the time I spent with them.  The relief I felt when I got home and shut the door was so unbelievable; my face could do whatever it liked.  And nothing happened until a little while ago.  I don’t know why I felt the need to keep a pretence up.  Don’t misunderstand; I wasn’t an inch away from tears throughout.  Except for one moment…

My Gran was cremated and scattered over my Grand Father’s grave.  We planted a bush there for her – I forget the specific type of bush… but it was beautiful! – And in the cut back for winter, the gardeners of the cemetery have ploughed over it.   My sister was visibly distraught.  At the time, I wasn’t; it struck me as sad and thoughtless.  The day has wound on.  I’ve busied myself with other things (mostly distracting myself with the Batman).  But it keeps coming back to me and every time it does, I feel angrier and sicker than I did before. 

I don’t think I’m that upset about the bush – there was part of it still sticking out of the ground and, to borrow a very good Yorkshire saying, they were still wick [Thought occurs, November.  Wick, derived of quick… Like the Iron Maiden song, be Quick or be Dead?] and that means it might make it through and start growing again in the spring.  It’s not the lack of respect that is really bothering me.  It’s not even the fact the bush is gone. 

I keep a picture frame on my living room table.  I don’t have a single photo of the four of us together as a family, so I keep a smaller picture of me and my Gran in the same frame as one with my Mum, Sister and Me from when I was a child.  It looks “right” and has done ever since the day I did it… One year ago today. 

It’s hard to miss someone that you know you can never have again.  People would love to remind me, I’m sure, that I still have my memories.  The thing is though, a lot of the ones that are more readily available are the not so nice ones from the last decade.  I don’t know if it’s from when my brain broke when I was a teenager or if it’s just a symptom of getting older, but there seems to be so many spaces in my childhood.  Huge great big gaps.  I can’t even ask my family to help me fill in the blanks because I don’t really know what’s missing.  I do have some incredibly fond memories of my Gran and I am trying to keep hold of them, gripping with both hands so hard I think my might break my fingers…

Like dancing around her living room to Abba with my sister one half-term day when we were kids.

Like her telling me she was proud of me when I got my GCSE’s and my A-Levels.

Like the day my sister and I went to visit her in the care home and she knew something there was no way she could have known about me and when I asked her how she knew, she tapped her nose, winked and said “An old lady has her ways.”

Like the day the photo was taken that sits looking at me now from my table.

The best photo I have of me and my Gran.  I think Laura took this... or my Mum.  Someone did anyway.  

Terribly sorry this is late and a bit soppy November.  You’re a melancholy month and I’m in a melancholy mood.  I’m sure you’ll forgive me my tardiness, my sentimentality and if I just excuse myself for a while.


Speak to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment