Sunday 9 November 2014

Letters To November 09.11.14

Dear November.

I’ve been neglecting you for a few days.  I can only say I’m sorry.  Friday, I didn't get home until very late in the evening and Saturday, mostly, all I did was sleep and nap for most of the day.  In a way, I don’t feel bad.  I got to go to a lovely birthday party, meet some fantastic people and have a fantastic night.  I suppose that’s the problem I have with writing, NaNoWriMo included; if there are good reasons for not doing something, I still feel guilty for not doing them.  I've been sat today, procrastinating from starting writing my story, because I'm 3500-ish words behind target for the end of November.  I suppose I even feel bad because I haven’t kept up my commitment to doing something that I really want to do; like I've let myself down.

Though this is true November, the past is in the past, and looking through the photos on my phone, I can remember that I had a wonderful time last night and the relaxation with a bottle of wine and a takeaway on Friday night in front of the TV was very well deserved.  It’s been a rough week and Friday was a really rough day.  I just don’t want you to feel neglected though.

If you squint carefully behind all those balloons, you might see Sue... At Bradley Wood, Brighouse 08.11.14

I'm sat in my living room, looking out of the window.  It’s not even 4:30 yet and I'm going to need to put a lamp on.  Your nights are starting earlier and earlier and soon enough, I'm hardly going to see anything else all day – it’ll be dark when I go to work and darker still when I get home.  No wonder I just want to sleep all the time!  Maybe it’s genetic memory of being a bear or a badger; something that hibernates through the winter, emerging in the spring, groggy and hungry but ready to start the year anew, full of hope and optimism.

I'm struggling with my NaNoWriMo.  It’s not just the word count either, November.  The problem sometimes with my writing is that I know what I want to do, I just don’t know how to do it.  Basing it on my own experience has made it a lot easier to write; its so easy for me to relate to because it really happened to me.    But now I need to move out of the experience that’s mine; I need to make one that can belong to the readers.  I need it to be scary and original.  And just to add in to my thoughts, including my target for today, I need to write 5000 words.  That’s half again on my current word count.


I'm tired at the thought of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment